The Crochet Classroom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Crochet Classroom

A place for learning new techniques in Crochet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tunisian Crossed Cables

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eileen

Tunisian Crossed Cables Empty
PostSubject: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables EmptySun Sep 02, 2007 2:27 pm

After long searching on the net, bookstores, and libraries, I finally found instructions for making true knit-style crossed cables. I had been dreaming of making these in tunisian for quite some time and found it in Nancy Nehring's Teach Yourself book.
I am faithfully following instructions but am stumbling over one part. She instructs you to:
"5 Tks, 2Tps, sk next 3 sts by removing them from the hook and placing them on a cn, 3Tks, remove these 3 to a 2nd cn, return 3 skipped to hook, 3 Tks (the 3 sts just returned to the hook)..."
Here's my problem:The whole business of skipping stitches by removing them from the hook implies that they have not been worked at all, but if that is the case, they won't be on the hook, will they? Can you provide some enlightenment here? I have vowed not to rest until I master this cable thing! I have even thought of trying to locate a way to contact Nancy Nehring, but she might think I was some kind of nut contacting her out of the blue. So I turn with great confidence to my friends here! Thanks a million.
Eileen
Back to top Go down
crochetkim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables EmptyTue Sep 04, 2007 1:21 pm

There are just so many ways to do cables in Tunisian and I've been experimenting a great deal. Now, I'm just going to guess on this instruction because it seems like something must have been left out.

First there are 5 knit stitches for your background, then 2 purls to separate the cables. Next, it looks like your cable must be worked over 6 knit stitches. (Again, just guessing.)

Work the first 3 knit stitches and place them on cable needle #1. Work a second 3 knit stitches and place them on cable needle #1. Put the knit stitches back on the hook from cable needle #2, then return the 3 from cable needle #2. This just causes them to be manipulated into different positions. And, how you cross them at this point will give you the crossed cables going in different directions.

Try that and please let us know how it works for you! Smile

Kim Guzman
http://www.crochetkim.com
http://www.kimanedesigns.net

Eileen wrote:
After long searching on the net, bookstores, and libraries, I finally found instructions for making true knit-style crossed cables. I had been dreaming of making these in tunisian for quite some time and found it in Nancy Nehring's Teach Yourself book.
I am faithfully following instructions but am stumbling over one part. She instructs you to:
"5 Tks, 2Tps, sk next 3 sts by removing them from the hook and placing them on a cn, 3Tks, remove these 3 to a 2nd cn, return 3 skipped to hook, 3 Tks (the 3 sts just returned to the hook)..."
Here's my problem:The whole business of skipping stitches by removing them from the hook implies that they have not been worked at all, but if that is the case, they won't be on the hook, will they? Can you provide some enlightenment here? I have vowed not to rest until I master this cable thing! I have even thought of trying to locate a way to contact Nancy Nehring, but she might think I was some kind of nut contacting her out of the blue. So I turn with great confidence to my friends here! Thanks a million.
Eileen

Last edited by on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eileen

PostSubject: Re: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables EmptyTue Sep 04, 2007 1:52 pm

Now you're talking! It was obvious to me (I thought) that the stitches must be worked in order to be removed, but the instructions left that out. I began to fell like I had never read a pattern, instructions, or even held a crochet hook before. After that I am fine. I am determined to master this type of cable. I have design plans for cables - among other things! I am grateful that you took the time to help me. I wonder how I can contact Ms. Nehring to alert her to this error (?) in her otherwise wonderful book. Or should I try? I am relucant to offend, but I am sure there are more folks like me out there in the same state of confusion.
On another note, I am playing with thread tunisian and it is fun. I am designing a table runner and will probably use size 3 or 5 thread in order to get good body to the fabric, but keep it light and drapey enough. I think the firm fabric tunisian creates will lend itself to this project and material. I'll keep you posted!
A thousand thanks again!
Back to top Go down
crochetkim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 12:50 am

Oh, that sounds wonderful! I can't wait to hear more from you on your new project! Very Happy

And, don't worry. I have emailed Nancy and asked that she review the posts here to make sure that I got the instruction correct. I'm sure she'll get back to us if she is available. With current TNNA and Stitches schedules, she may not be able to let us know right away.

Kim Guzman
Back to top Go down
crochetkim
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables EmptyWed Sep 05, 2007 5:01 pm

I wanted to let you know that I exchanged some emails with Nancy Nehring with regard to this project. Without seeing the project, I can't be absolutely certain on how these particular cables are done. But, with your previous post and Nancy's emails, I do have some clues.

First and foremost, the way I explained the cable part above is definitely wrong. Nancy caught it. I have described working three stitches and put them on a cable stitch holder. Then, another three and put those on a cable stitch holder. THEN, I told you to put them back on, but I told you to put them back on in the same position they were in to begin with. lol!

I have asked and Nancy said she definitely used two separate cable stitch holders. And, something really cool that she mentioned. You really don't need a cable stitch holder. She was successful in using split ring stitch markers since you're only holding three stitches at a time. Genius!

But, I think you'll be able to figure out the cables once you get in there and start manipulating those three stitches. Crossing to the front. Crossing to the back. Etc. Can't wait to hear how it works for you!

Kim Guzman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tunisian Crossed Cables   Tunisian Crossed Cables Empty

Back to top Go down

Tunisian Crossed Cables
Page 1 of 1